The Start-up Job Fair connected local companies with graduate and undergraduate students. The start-ups from around the Triangle represented a wide range of industries, from biotechnology to Web 2.0. The event was sponsored by Research Triangle Institute (RTI).
Will Pearson, Trinity '01 and co-founder and President of Mental_Floss magazine, capped off the undergraduate events with a presentation about his experience starting mental_floss. This event was sponsored by Aurora Funds and Intuit JumpUp.
Thursday evening, undergraduate students pitched ideas and business plans created in classes this semester to a panel of judges including:
- Chris Kroeger - Partner, The Aurora Funds
- Bonny Moellenbrock - Executive Director, SJF Advisory Services
- Jay Mebane - Co-owner and CFO, US Handbags
On Friday, Christopher Gergen, founding partner of New Mountain Ventures, LLC, moderated a panel called "Launching Social Ventures." Social entrepreneurs on the panel included:
- Brandon Busteed, Duke Trinity '99 - Founder and CEO, Outside the Classroom
- Geoff Cramer, Duke WEMBA '01 - Founder and CEO, Futures, Inc.
- Henry McKoy, UNC MBA '95 - Founder of OneVoice Institute of Business
Tomorrow is the last day of Entrepreneurship Week. There are three events: the International Entrepreneurship Speaker, the Environmental Entrepreneurship Panel, and the Entrepreneurship Week Closing Ceremony. See you there!